ON THIS PAGE: job opportunities and work experience opportunities (scroll down)
JOB OPPORTUNITY AT GARVALD HOME FARM
Project Galvanising Garvald
Job Title Build Manager
Hours 21 hours per week
Length of contract 12 months starting March 2018
Pay £24k pro rata
Location Garvald Home Farm, Dolphinton
Reporting to Garvald Home Farm Management Committee
Employer Garvald Home Farm Management Council
- To manage the build works on the site resulting from the Galvanising Garvald Project.
- To complete the tendering processes for works/buildings
- To keep works on time and to target (budget) ensuring the safety and well-being of all concerned
- To oversee and liaise between the range of stakeholders and funders
- To work with existing staff to ensure that walls, surfaces, floors, lighting, drainage and all other technical aspects of the proposed meat and dairy facilities are both fit for purpose and comply with all relevant Environmental Health, Health and Safety, and Fire precaution guidelines
- To work in tandem with the other staff on the farm ensuring the continued smooth running of existing processes such as milking and milk distribution, while respecting the ethics and values which underpin life on the farm
- take ownership of, enhance and deliver the project plan, managing all aspects of the build and renovation process
- write and fulfil tender specifications, negotiating and agreeing contracts
- monitoring contractors on site and quality assurance for work being done
- Be the main point of contact for contractors, funders, other key partners and supporters, decision makers and build professionals
- Maintaining an active presence on site during the building works
- Ensuring project keeps to agreed timescales
- Managing the build and keeping within agreed costs and financial timescales, including initial set up of day to day financial systems (in conjunction with accountant)
- Ensuring the quality of build and that it meets pre-agreed specifications including environmental standards (in a biodynamic environment) and where required using traditional building techniques
- Maintain a comprehensive audit trail of minutes, agreements, decisions, finances and other performance records as appropriate
- Work to develop the operational aspects of the business plan related to the meat and dairy aspects of the farm, working with the existing team to maximise opportunities within the ethos of the farm
- Support the Garvald Home Farm team with any other related activities such as fundraising, marketing, promotion etc
Personal Qualities, Skills, and Qualifications
Good communication and interpersonal skills
Experience of managing large scale building and landscaping work
Ability to work with people of varying support needs
Ability to work alone but also as part of a team
Full driving licence
Experience of working with adults with a learning disability
First Aid certificate
Health and Safety training
Farm working experience
Protection of Vulnerable Groups
Successful candidates will have to be checked and registered with Disclosure Scotland before starting work.
Please apply in the first instance by letter or email, enclosing a CV and a brief resume as to how you would be suited to this job, to:
Management Committee (St Brides Group)
Garvald Home Farm
CLOSING DATE NOON MONDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2018
Garvald Home Farm is an equal opportunities employer.
This post is part funded by Scottish Borders LEADER LAG programme and SSE Scottish Borders Sustainable Development Fund.
WORK EXPERIENCE OPPORTUNITIES AT GARVALD HOME FARM
Garvald Home Farm does have limited opportunities for friendly, enthusiastic, young people to have a period of work experience or “practicum”.
We can only accept applications from people who will be over the age of 16 when they come to stay.
Accommodation is very basic; it may be a caravan. The work is hard and challenging and the weather may be wet and cold.
If you would like to apply for a place you must apply, in the first instance, on paper.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and please enclose your address, an e-mail address if you have one and a photograph.
Successful applicants will have to provide 2 references (written in English) from responsible adults (e.g. teachers) who can confirm your good character and a copy of your police record.
Garvald Home Farm
Tel: +44 (0)1968 682238
or contact the farm office: